2 November 2020
UNESCO Almaty will launch an online meeting on Journalists’ Safety Indicators (JSIs) with the Adil soz International Foundation on the protection of the freedom of speech under the approved the International Programme for the Development of Communication (IPDC) project "Kazakhstan: Increasing the safety of journalists". #EndImpunityThe national assessment process will lead to a national assessment report and to the organization of related events that aim to pinpoint significant matters that demonstrate or impact upon, the safety of journalists and the issue of impunity.
Members of the National Steering Committee (NSC) will meet for their first meeting online on 2 November 2020 on the occasion of the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists.
The online meeting is inclusive, gender-balanced multi-stakeholders platform, representing the variety of actors involved in media development.
The NSC will oversee and provide input to the research team, creating a bridge between the assessment process and the other national stakeholders, namely:
- Government, private and community media
- Civil society
- Journalism education institutions
- Professional associations
- Journalists’ unions,
Resources for the online meeting:
- Message from Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO, on the occasion of the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists, download (English), (Russian)
- Applying UNESCO’s Journalists’ Safety Indicators (JSIs): A Practical Guidebook to Assist Researchers (English) (Russian)
- Journalists’ Safety Indicators: National Level (English) (Russian)
- Applying Journalists' Safety Indicators (JSIs) were piloted in Guatemala, Honduras and Pakistan. UNESCO has completed and published full JSI assessments in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kenya and Nepal, while assessments in South Sudan are being finalised. New JSI assessments are currently ongoing in Colombia, Mali, Uganda, Vietnam and Kazakhstan. Visit page (English).
- Journalism Safety Statistics in Kazakhstan 2015-2019, open (English)
- The meeting will contribute to SDG 16 Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies (English)
Registration of the meeting participation in Zoom: https://unesco-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_nyXt0HT2SviI5dxnSFAK5Q.
Permanent link: http://en.unesco.kz/launch-of-journalists-safety-indicators