15 March 2021
From 15 to 16 March 2021, UNESCO Almaty Office, with the support of headquarters, is organizing a meeting of a diverse range of stakeholders, including representatives of the national governments, Indigenous peoples, Indigenous organizations, scholars and experts in the field of Indigenous languages, linguistic diversity and multilingualism for sustainable development, as well as others for a constructive dialogue on Indigenous languages and related issues in the Eastern European and Central Asian States.The meeting aims to contribute to prepare the Global Action Plan for the International Decade of Indigenous Languages IDIL2022-2032.
The main objectives of the consultative meeting are to:
- Bring together a diverse range of stakeholders, including representatives of the national governments, Indigenous peoples, Indigenous organizations, scholars and experts in the field of Indigenous languages, and others for a constructive dialogue on Indigenous languages and related issues in the Eastern European States;
- Identify regional priorities according to the Template proposed by UNESCO including strategic objectives, outcomes, outputs and enabling factors, drivers of change and domains of change (thematic consideration), aligned to the main structural elements, such as strategic approach and guiding framework, of the future Global Action Plan in language transmission, documentation, safeguarding, policy development, education, research, and promotion and private sector;
- Identify future regional activities which would contribute to the implementation of the Global Action Plan such as regional flagship and pilot projects;
- Provide an opportunity to forge new partnerships and networks among various stakeholders for the establishment of a regional network of partners, national committees and focal points for the organization of the IDIL2022-2032 in the region.
- Raise awareness on the importance of indigenous languages, linguistic diversity and multilingualism for sustainable development and provide guidance to the stakeholders in the implementation of international, regional and national commitments related to language development.
- Adoption of recommendations for the Global Action Plan for the integration of linguistic diversity and multilingualism into the regional, national and local level municipalities level on indigenous languages by all stakeholders involved.
- Completion of a Template for the development of plans proposed by UNESCO in the context of IDIL2022-2032.
- List of potential activities at regional level for the elaboration of flagship and pilot projects.
- List of key partners at national and regional level for the establishment of network.
The meeting will take into consideration the UNESCO General Conference Resolution, Los Pinos Declaration, recommendations and documents to develop vision and follow-up actions.
For the participation please respond to the survey on IDIL 2022-2032 in Russian here and register on the Zoom meeting here.