23 March 2018
Post Title: Programme Assistant
Duty Station: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Annual salary: 3 901 000 KZT
Only candidates entitled to work in Kazakhstan may apply for this post
Closing Date of Applications (midnight, local time): 23 March 2018
Under the direct supervision and functional authority of the Director of UNESCO Almaty Office, the incumbent shall provide assistance to UNESCO Almaty Programme Specialists in supporting Member States in Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) in the Education, Science, Culture and Information/Communication fields.
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Contribute to the implementation of programme activities:
- a. Assist in the implementation of programme activities: search, locate, compile, review and update of information and data used in the development of documents, work plans and budgets; process data in/from automated systems in order to support preparation of regular and ad-hoc budgetary/financial updates, to report on programme delivery, statistics and/or projections for use and scrutiny by the supervisor.
b. Support the organization and set up meetings, events, workshops organized by the UNESCO Almaty Office.
- Contribute to programme administration:
- a. Assist in performing programme logistics (including contract and travel arrangements).
b. Assist in preparing all information on programmes and projects in the Cluster upon request of Head quarters' (HQ) or donors.
c. Prepare a variety of administrative documentation; initiate administrative procedures and ensure follow-up; review requests for payments against contractual obligations, and provide information on payment status and remaining obligations to supervisor(s).
- Contribute to maintain relations with partners:
- a. Facilitate contacts with UNESCO's partners and UN organizations, make appointments, receive visitors and take telephone calls, answering enquiries and/or referring them to the appropriate specialist. Liaise with HQ services to obtain additional information/clarification.
b. Liaise with National Commissions, UN Agencies and HQs in administrative and finance matters.
- Contribute to the preparation of publications, translations, records, meetings:
- a. Assist in providing inputs for publications, presentations, briefings, speeches and missions.
b. Initiate, draft and translate news items on all UNESCO Almaty Unit's activities implemented by UNESCO Almaty Office and identify, revise and translate items related to any other UNESCO's actions, that are relevant to the Cluster countries.
c. Record, update and retrieve information, documentation and data from the Office filing systems.
- Facilitate travel arrangements:
- a. Prepare travel requests and files for official travels, organize them, and ensure follow-up in close cooperation with the finance and administration unit.
- Undertake any other related tasks or assignments requested by the superviser or Director of Office.
- Completed secondary, technical or vocational education.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in secretarial, administrative and/or programme support service acquired at the national or international level.
- Experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Ability to work as part of a team, to take initiative and to provide quality and timely support and services. Work in a team in a multicultural environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to draft correspondence and correct documents.
- Good organisational, coordination and filling skills.
- Ability to interpret rules and manage priorities in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Discretion and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
- Good ICT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of English and Russian.
- Specialized training/certification in secretarial, administrative or related fields.
- Working experience within UNESCO or UN agencies.
- Knowledge of Kazakh.
- UNESCO's salaries are paid in local currency (Kazakh tenge).
- Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance and pension plan.
- Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to send their application, including a motivation letter in English and the complete official UNESCO CV form, indicating the "Programme Assistant" to UNESCO Representative to Cluster Office for Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, 67 Tole bi street, 4th floor, 050000 Almaty, Kazakhstan or via e-mail: (almaty(at)unesco(dot)org) NOT LATER THAN 23 March 2018.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY PRE-SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
A WRITTEN EXAMINATION MAY BE USED IN THE EVALUATION OF CANDIDATES.
UNESCO DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.