29 April 2021
UNESCO Almaty Office is seeking for consultant with the experience and knowledge in the field of education and the region of Eastern Europe and Central Asia, including the Southern Caucasus region, to support the implementation of the education programme in Central Asia and Southern Caucasus.
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time): 11 MAY 2021
Under the overall authority of the Director and in close cooperation with the Education National Professional Officer of the UNESCO Almaty Cluster Office (UNESCO Almaty), the Contractor shall support the UNESCO Almaty education programme planning and implementation in Central Asia and Southern Caucasus.
1. In particular, the Consultant shall: Based on UNESCO’s Regular Programme priorities and expected contribution to UNSDCFs and CCAs, conduct a needs analysis in the education sector by undertaking a desk study, consulting relevant stakeholders, mapping ongoing programmes implemented by the other development partners, including the UN agencies, as well as identifying key national partners and stakeholders in Southern Caucasus;
2. Based on the needs analysis and the priorities identified, as well as in light of the mapping of the ongoing programmes, define UNESCO’s niche areas and develop recommendations for UNESCO’s possible support in the education sector in the three Southern Caucasus countries;
3. Participate, on behalf of the UNESCO Almaty Office, in the UN meetings at the country level pertaining to the field of education, e.g. relevant Results Groups;
4. Contribute to the development of the Sub-regional Strategy of the UNESCO Almaty Office as far as the education programme is concerned;
5. Based on the workplan defined, contribute to the implementation of programme interventions in the countries covered by the Office by drafting the budget estimates, terms of reference, timeline, etc. as required for the full implementation of programme activities;
6. Depending on the type of activities, develop M&E framework and tools to monitor the results of the activities;
7. In close consultation with the UNESCO Almaty Office, identify priority areas for funds mobilization and develop project proposals for submission to possible donor organizations and partners;
8. Conduct any other tasks and/or activities required for the smooth implementation of the education programme of the UNESCO Almaty Office.
The tasks are to be carried out over a period of 17 May - 31 December 2021.
• Advanced University degree (Master's degree or équivalent) in éducation, public policy, social sciences fields or economics.
• Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in the field of education both at the national and international level.
• Experience in the fields of educational development, technical assistance, education policy, planning and implementing of education programmes at international and inter-governmental organizations.
• Experience in resource mobilization and the development of strategic partnerships.
Skills and competencies
• Solid knowledge and expertise in the education sector and understanding of different education challenges, preferably with a particular focus on the Central Asian and the Southern Caucasus countries;
• Relevant research ability with identification of emerging educational needs to which an international research and training programme could make a substantial contribution, as well as with exploration of new avenues and patterns of action.
• Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, as well as in implementing them effectively, and devising implementation strategies that take account of and mitigate risks.
• Proven leadership and managerial skills, a broad general culture and sound analytical capacities, high sense of objectivity, professional integrity and political astuteness.
• Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and Russian.
How to Apply
Please note that interested candidates must complete an online application and provide complete and accurate information as required in the vacancy notice.
Learn more and apply here.